Oct 17, 2007

The pocket protector may be making a comeback

I thought the old pocket protector of the middle of the twentieth century had finally faded from the scene.

Not so.

The pocket protector seems to be making a comeback.

Some are referring to it as a “nerd pack” designed to hold at least five writing instruments. One can never be too prepared.

They are always made of white plastic. In the 1960’s most of them had company logos advertising STP or Texaco motor oil.

I never used a pocket protector but then I was more persnickety than most.

Many of my co-workers wore them proudly bragging how many shirts were saved from leaky pens.

I preferred a silver A.T. Cross pen and pencil in my shirt pocket without a pocket protector sheath.

The new pocket protectors are worn by tech people who have started a “geek chick” movement.

In case you want to make your own, DIY instructions can be found here. An old pocket protector patent drawing can be found here.