Dec 30, 2008

Caroline Kennedy Senate quest takes a “you know” hit

During an interview with the New York Times, Caroline Kennedy (pictured) stumbled badly - even worse than Sarah Palin during her interview with Katie Couric.

Perhaps most damaging of all was her repeated use of the phrase "you know", which she uttered 142 times which was left in the transcript when it appeared in print.

Explaining why she would be a good Senator, she said: "So I think in many ways, you know, we want to have all kinds of different voices, you know, representing us, and I think what I bring to it is, you know, my experience as a mother, as a woman, as a lawyer, you know, I've been an education activist for the last six years here, and, you know, I've written seven books – two on the Constitution, two on American politics.

"So obviously, you know, we have different strengths and weaknesses."

Why the New York Times said Caroline Kennedy was “eloquent” after that interview is a mystery.

But, you know, intelligence is secondary to celebrity, you know, at least, you know, it’s that way it is in politics, you know.

I am personally annoyed by the overuse of OK? I first began hearing it about 20 years ago, OK? And I really dislike it, OK? Sometimes I just quietly walk away from someone talking that way, OK?

Another annoyance is when someone always begins a sentence with the word “look.”

Almost as bad is the constant use of um. I first noticed, um, the overuse of "um" about 30 years ago.

Um, you know, I wonder if the overuse of, you know, um, you know, is it more of a nervous tick or, you know, a twitch or is it a purposeful stall for time, you know, while um, trying to form the next thought?

Back to Caroline Kennedy: did the transcript actually show she said “you know” 142 times? Sounds to me like she qualifies to be a Senator. How soon can they swear her in?

Link