Oct 6, 2010

Nutritionist loses weight eating steak and Twinkies

From an ABC report at the link below:

It's either a kid's dream or a dietician's nightmare: nutritionist Mark Haub ate Twinkies and Nutter Butters, steak, milk, and a multivitamin for a month and lost 15 pounds.

Mr. Haub is an associate professor of nutrition at Kansas State University.

He wasn't indulging in this snack cake binge for kicks. He said he wanted to open up a debate for his students: as long as basic nutritional needs are met, is it what you eat, or just how much, that counts?

"I knew I could lose weight doing this, but I had no idea what was going to happen to cholesterol.

That's why I made it only four weeks because I had no idea how it would affect my health," he says.

The thing is, he began to feel healthier. He had more energy, stopped snoring, and not only did he lose enough weight to drive down his overall cholesterol and body mass index (BMI), his good HDL cholesterol crept up two points and his blood glucose -- despite all that cream filling -- dropped 17 percent.

Shouldn't there have been a "don't try this at home warning?

Click here for the steak and Twinkies story.