Feb 1, 2011

Bill would require all South Dakota citizens to buy a gun!

It's a good thing I wasn't having my morning coffee when I read the headline, shown above, in my old home town newspaper the Sioux Falls Argus Leader. Some of the coffee may have spewed out of my nose ruining the newspaper!

Five South Dakota lawmakers have introduced legislation that would require any adult 21 or older to buy a firearm “sufficient to provide for their ordinary self-defense.”

As it turns out the sponsor of the bill knows it will never pass. He is forwarding the bill to make a point.

South Dakota State Republican Congressman Hal Wick (pictured) of Sioux Falls is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. He said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

If a law can force citizens to buy health care insurance, why can't a law force citizens to buy a firearm?

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

Link