Dec 11, 2008

Fads of the 1970’s

Listed below are just a few of the 1970’s fads. Some of them we liked a lot. Some we couldn’t tolerate.

8-track tape players
Buying one of those noisy 8-track players was bad enough but buying 8-track tapes was like throwing good money after bad. We did both. However, our tape collection was very small.

Banana-seat bikes
Norm had a Sting-Ray bike with a banana seat. He thought it was ‘way-cool.’

Battleship
It was one of our favorite table games. Teri and Lori could beat me every time but Valeta could beat us all!

CB radios
I never used one. Norm had one of the early 32 channel CB radios made by Hi-Gain. CB lingo was a novelty at first but got old real quick. “Breaker, breaker good buddy, what’s your 20?” It seemed to me that perfectly normal people went to great lengths to sound like they were illiterate while using their CB radios.

Double knit bell bottom pants
Yup - I must admit I had a light gray herringbone double knit suit with bell bottom pants. It must have looked almost as bad as my wide lapel bold plaid sport coats. I actually did wear that stuff in the early 1970’s!

English Leather aftershave
Hated it!

Fondue pots
Never got into fondue. Did we miss anything?

Leisure suits
Norm enjoyed his but I never owned one.

Mood rings
We didn’t get into that craze. Did they ever really work?

Paisley shirts
I had one that I liked a lot. Couldn’t find another so wore the one I had until in nearly fell apart.

Pet rock
We just couldn’t get into the pet rock craze.

Play-Doh and Silly Putty
Our kids loved them both.

Waterbeds
We used a waterbed for a while but were glad to get back to a conventional mattress. When the baffles broke down it was either get rid of the bed or stock up on dramamine.