Aug 30, 2007

This shoe craze is a croc

When I was a kid the footwear craze was centered on saddle shoes (upper picture). Then came penny loafers, followed by the re-birth of flip-flops with clogs and platforms sandwiched in there as well.

That was before 2002 when a couple of entrepreneurs in Boulder, Colorado began making the ugliest, least flattering items of footwear you’ll ever see.

Putting on a croc with bare feet for the first time can be a rather startling experience. When my bare feet slid into the soft, spongy foam resin I was sure I’d stepped in a bucket of earthworms and couldn’t wait to take them back off.

I thought they were the most disgusting things I had ever seen or felt on my feet.

But what do I know? There has never been a shoe craze like this! In no time, crocs were everywhere. On the beach. In gardens. In the supermarket. Even in church!

Most croc wearers swear by the comfort of the shoe. Some claim their crocs have helped with medical problems.

For whatever reason hoards of people are footing the croc craze.

Because the shoes are wide and roomy, Podiatrists say crocs can help with foot problems like severe heel pain and bunions.

One Podiatrist said that comparing crocs to flip-flops -- crocs are better because they are closed in the front providing more protection as well as support.

Well, they can have their crocs. I just don’t like the feeling of stepping in a bucket of earthworms.