Jan 21, 2007

His forgetter may be getting better

This is about two elderly people living in a Retirement Condominium Complex. He was a widower and she was a widow. They had known one another for a year or two. One evening there was a community buffet in the Activity Center. These two were at the same table sitting across from one another.

As the meal went on, he made a few admiring glances at her and finally gathered up his courage to ask her, "Will you marry me?" After about three split seconds of careful consideration, she answered. "Yes. Yes, I will." After the meal, they stayed and visited for a short time before going back to their separate condos.

Next morning, he was puzzled. "Did she say 'yes' or did she say 'no'?" He just could not remember. He finally mustered enough courage to call her. First, he explained to her that he his memory was not as sharp as when he was younger. Then he thanked her for the wonderful time he had visiting with her at the buffet the evening before.

As he gained a little more courage he finally asked her, "When I asked if you would marry me, did you say 'Yes' or did you say 'No'?" She replied, "I said, Yes, yes I will and I meant it with all my heart." Then she continued, "And I am so glad that you called, because I couldn't remember who had asked me."